Friday 12 September 2014

This Morning's Tajalli - Coconut Milk French Toast

'This is not a day for asking questions. 
Not a day on any calender
This day is conscious of itself
This day is a lover, bread and gentleness,
More manifest that saying can say'
Rumi



Homemade bread, homemade plum compote... a perfect day , I thought for yummy French toast.. 

'Not a day for asking questions' 

Shall we have French toast or not? Salty or sweet? Ok, lets just have left overs... no.. actually, lets try and have both, hallumi? no.. I can't tell you how much time I spent procrastinating in the kitchen while my Italian coffee was brewing (Lavazza no less..) He may be a dervish, but I, - as he kindly put it this morning - am more of a Sultana. (No not a raisin... more like a queen... or drama queen;)

He had no answers... staring at me blankly, not acknowledging my faint distress when I realised that we had no milk. No half and half. No cream. No butter. Even my alternative information companion - Google - was reiterating the need for these essential dairy items.. and my memories of Homemade French toast included at least some milk and butter... may not fancy pancy cream... 

'This day is conscious of itself....'

Until a breakthrough happened. A lightbulb moment occured and Coconut Milk was found amongst the multifarious wedding gifts that had overwhelmed our new home only 40 days ago when we married... to be honest there really weren't enough reviews of this recipe for me to feel comfortable.. (I'm a Capricorn, if we are gonna do it, lets do it well ) but the picture looked so delicious I had to try it! Silk.com to the rescue! (At least it sounded slick!)

Finally. My drama queen of a morning became calm and all of my wasted time on procrastination didn't seem to matter any more (the new french toast recipe only takes 15 minutes and the coffee was ready!)... simples ;)

Coconut Milk French Toast it is my darling Dervish ;)

'This day is a lover, bread and gentleness...'

Sultana's Tips!

 My adaptations to the recipe as I find it the easiest way to remember that; we don't always have everything at hand, everything can be done slightly differently, and there are some things, that just can never be left out!


- This recipe calls for almond extract (that is even too much of a luxury for this queen right now... so I just left it out!)
- If I had been organised enough, I could have conjured up some almonds or other nuts (I actually think that I have some hazelnuts..) but all that procrastinating made me forget... I am sure they would have been delicious
- I did not have any fresh fruit to hand (gasp!) but the homemade compote was delicious with it.... and I highly recommend having compote handy for almost any (sweet) occasion!


- The recipe calls for 2 eggs, in my experiment, this meant 2 large eggs, all I have interestingly.. is tiny eggs... chicken eggs, but tiny... so I put 5 tiny eggs in, to equal the 2 large eggs... Someone mentioned that maybe these were young chickens and therefore have not acquired the skills of producing large eggs... I leave you with a photo in their memory!
- If you don't have coconut milk I am almost 100% sure you can exchange this for normal milk or cream
- Do not be afraid to experiment! French toast is also delicious savoury (I remember this vividly, just add a pinch of salt to the recipe and leave out the vanilla, nutmeg and cinammon)
- Adding butter instead of sunflower oil, will only increase how delicious this is (in my world, calories do not exist, butter is not fattening, and taste is everything)


Happy cooking!


Coconut Milk French Toast!

'More manifest that saying can say'

Serves 3 hungry Peeps, 4 Normal Peeps

2 Large Eggs (or 5 tiny eggs)
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch Nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla powder)
1/2 tsp almond extract
Sunflower Oil
6 Thick Slices of
home made bread
Homemade Spicy Plum Compote
Any other delicious garnish, fruit, berries, maple syrup, 

Directions
1. Put on oil in pan and put on a medium heat
2. Whisk together eggs, coconut milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla extract
3. Dip each slice of bread in the mixture, soaking well on both sides.
4. Place bread pieces on hot skillet and cook on each side until golden brown.
5. Serve with a selection of spicy plum compote, fresh fruit, toasted almonds, real maple syrup or honey



Deeeeelicious! 
(Remember to serve it with Love ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment