Monday 29 September 2014

The Zucchini and the Great Unknown Marrow Soup

'Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, 
Not Hindu,Buddhist, Sufi or Zen, 
Not Any religion.
Or cultural System. I am not
From the East or the West, 
Not out of the Ocean or up from the Ground...
I belong to the Beloved'

Rumi



You see, most people can just walk into Tesco, or shop online (mine used to be Abel and Cole) at the large variety of different vegetables available, choose carefully which ones they want or like, remember those recommendations from friends. Even Tesco express would do. It doesn't have to be large. A corner shop even? They would almost always have some form of fresh ginger or seasonal vegetable that you can choose. 


I guess the interesting thing about living in a village, rather than London. And in the middle of the Mediterranean instead of the British Isles, (where I live is considered occupied territory, only recognised officially by two countries (one is Pakistan, and the other holds an almost identical flag) thus resulting in branded products not being sold here... or anything of any real quality) is that somehow I manage to get a large proportion (considering) of my fruit and veg from the street. I don't mean a bustling market with delicious smells and you get the picture.... I mean, lying on the road, fallen off a truck. 


I have to say I find this delightful - some of my most delicious recipes (See Plum Compote) have resulted from this. Others a stroke of luck (yesterday I got 10 apples this way, oh, and a lemon also...)...I will be baking more Apple Cake (or crumble) very soon! 


Obviously, there are other ways that vegetables make their way into my fridge.. This is mainly through some form of donation from the wonderful neighbours I have. And yes, I do talk to them! and know their names... well the English Speaking ones anyway :/ Huge bags of vegetables waiting for me. Some might be a little squashed. Some perfect. Some needed some immediate de-insecting, and some I find a little hard to cook. Namely what the British neighbours I have been spending time with, have referred to as 'the non- specific marrow' and what is known to me as the great unknown.... (Its accompanied with a form of screwed up face indicating that they also have come to the same dilemma as me and have no clue how to make this vegetable tasty or delicious, therefore just resulting in a waste of time)... however, we cant waste!


Unfortunately, Non-specific Marrow does not sound exciting at all! (now rebranded the Great Unknown for my own sake) I was much more pleased when another neighbour called it a squash, only to open it up and find the seeds were part of the vegetable (Like zucchini). Anyway... My most major disappointment was the fact that neither Jamie Oliver (at some point I will just call him Jamie, this second name thing is a little ridiculous ;p) neither BBC Good Food (who apparently as of yesterday consider this side of occupied territory 'the Middle East' and wont let me into the UK site thus barring from all of those recipes!), nor Sheikh Google could provide me with a recipe that had 5 stars and the work 'MARROW' next to it. Just doesn't work. 



Anyway, my search continued and I found this recipe (yes, I know the photos on the website are really bad!). I decided to completely ignore the use of Squash, and replace it with the Great Unknown Marrow... and here's the wonderful thing. It tasted so good, I had to call my dervish of a husband and let him know how delicious it was... (it doesn't happen often!). I have decided it is much like the story of the milk and the yogurt... all they have to do is sit in a pot together and somehow magic happens!



 To be honest I was a little bowled over by how easy, quick and delicious this soup is. A Definite Five Stars. No doubt. You have to try it! 


Yum All the way!

Housewife Tips!


- I thought 3 cups of cream was RIDICULOUS... the aim of eating vegetables is not to gain weight.. its to have something delicious. So I have reduced this to 1 1/2 cups of milk fresh from the cows (that's where I get my other stuff from ;)

- Of course, I am sure that squash would be completely delicious in this recipe (so go ahead), and I can only say how jealous I am (anyone that has access to online shopping, corner shops and squash). However, Non-Specific Marrow now has a purpose, and a delicious soup to go with it! 

- I dont know the difference between shallots and onions, so I combined them..

- I decided to cut the zucchini and non-specific marrow into 1-2cm squares rather than rounds.. rounds just looked a bit tacky for me. This also increases the cup sizes (how do you fit a cube in a cup?) So... instead of 1 1/2 cups, I used 2.

- Roasting these vegetables first is an amazing way of increasing the flavour (I roasted them for 30 minutes, already cubed with whole garlic)

- Serve with homemade yogurt, lebne, or parmesan cheese and some delicious warm bread <3



The Zucchini and the Great Unknown Marrow Soup


Ingredients 

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
medium zucchini, cubed about 2 cups
non-specific marrow about 2 cups (or squash)
cups rich chicken broth (preferably homemade)
1 1/2 cups full fat fresh milk
teaspoons minced fresh basil
teaspoons minced fresh oregano (I used dry)
salt & freshly ground black pepper

If roasting: Extra Olive oil




Directions:

If roasting start here:
  1. Preheat the Oven to gas mark 7
  2. Cut Onion, Marrow and Zucchini into 2cm cubed pieces, place in a baking tray with whole pieces of garlic (still with the skin on) and drizzle 3-4 tbsp olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
  3.  Cover with tin foil.  
  4. Place vegetables in preheated oven and roast for 30 minutes
  5. When finished put the baking tray to one side and use the roast vegetables as they appear in the following directions.

From oven roasted (or raw) to soup-tastic:
  1. Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat.
  2. Add onion and sliced garlic and cook until onion is translucent,stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes if not roasted.
  3. Add flour and stir 3 minutes
  4. Add zucchini and non-specific Marrow and cook until softened, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
  5. Stir in stock, milk, basil and oregano.
  6. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes (this will only need 5 or 10 minutes if the vegetables were already roasted).
  7. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
  8. Devour!



Serve it with 
Love!





No comments:

Post a Comment