Wednesday 10 September 2014

Spicy Plum Compote

'The clear bead at the center changes everything
There are no edges to my loving now'
Rumi

OK peeps this recipe is deeeelicious.. very easy, multi use.. chocolate apple cake and pancakes (may be any thing with cake on the end) all really enjoy being tied up with this baby.. delicious on its own with yoghurt.. if you happen to find some Plums lying on the side of the road.. you must try this out 

I found this amazing recipe after finding some deliciously ripe plums on the side of the road, just asking to be made into something, if possible, even more delicious!


I began my search for chicken and plum recipes, but soon found that I had no clue how to made a plum sauce..  but I already had a delicious chocolate cake just waiting to be devoured and covered in compote and cream....




This recipe was used in Masterchef  and I only used the Plum Compote part... I had already made a delicious chocolate cake, and had some crème to whip it up with or drissle on...

The honest truth is that even though this chocolate cake was divine to begin with, the plum compote was able to compliment it beautifully, adding new textures to the cake and subtle contrasts as the two melted in my mouth! 


I have also used this recipe on Pancakes and with home made yoghurt on both Chocolate cake and Pancakes.. absolutely delicious!



Tips!




 


My adaptations to the recipe as I find it the easiest way to remember that; we don't always have everything at hand, everything can be done slightly differently, and there are some things, that just can never be left out!


- I adapted this recipe, as I thought that the skin would make the compote too sour.. the original directions highlight that you leave the skin on, and then sieve everything at the end, throwing away anything that doesn't get through... However, I removed the skin with my fingers, putting it aside and cooking everything else together. This also left the recipe with delicious bits of fruit in it.

- I have also tried this recipe with green and red plums... the main difference is how appealing it looks to the eye! My husband has certainly had less of it that the pinky one... although it is still very delicious
- This is a super simple recipe that enhances any sweet you may want to have (last night I had it on this delicious apple cake) 



Spiced Plum Compote



10 ripe red plums stones removed
- 100ml water
- 2 cinnamon sticks,
- 100g caster sugar plus extra if necessary

Directions

1. Remove the skin from the plums with your fingers and break the fruit into 2cm chunks

2. Place all the ingredients in a pan and simmer gently for about 30 minutes, until the plums have  cooked down.

3.  Taste for sweetness and add more sugar is the fruit is too tart. 

4. Place into clean bowl and leave to cool.





Let me know how it was!













No comments:

Post a Comment