Tuesday 28 October 2014

Jafaican Celebration Curry Goat!



'it looks like the end

it seems like a sunset
but in reality it is a dawn
when the grave locks you up
that is when your soul is freed'
Rumi



I know it has been a while! And I guess I should be saying Happy New Islamic Year! or Happy Diwali! Rather than Eid Mubarak! But.. I guess the general theme is celebration! And in my language that means meat! (I have just landed in London... and yes. everyone is now getting ready for Christmas!)... It makes me all warm inside!

In Islam, the eating of meat became customary on Eid following the selfless sacrifice that the Prophet Ibrahim and his son made to God. (He was going sacrifice his son.) In modern day language. It does sound a little bit like child abuse (being a social worker I cant ignore that point), however, on a spiritual level, devotion to the Universe and having a greater understanding that Life does not stop here, and as beautifully as Rumi puts it 'whoever brought me here will have to take me home' - Death is a returning to God, returning to the Universe, and to your true self. So it is kind of beautiful. So much so, that Rumi referred to his death as his Wedding Night, when he would finally be reunited with his Love. I have made my peace with my my own death, and I guess it makes it easier to make peace with the death of others including animals. 

I have to say though, that it is very important to me that animals are treated well, and
have a good life, and are not killed in a way that is cruel or frightening to them. In Islam, the animals should have eaten and drank before dieing and they should not see their fellows dieing, or the knife, and they should have a good life. In London, I always bought Organic meat as I felt this was the best way to make sure that the animals were best cared for.. perhaps not in the ritualisting last 10 minutes of their life way, but throughout their life.  For those that are interested, Sheikh Nazim said that it is better to eat organic meat and pray Fatiha on it 7 times than eat Halal meat. Obviously Organic Meat standards are much higher, and being careful about what hormones, chemicals and anti-biotics you are pumping into your body is very important! Where I live, a good life for Goats (not cows or sheep, but Goats) is very easy to assure. 

So. On Eid, our choice was a Goat. I have been on the mountain where it roams, and it is lovely :) a healthy beautiful Goat. Half I shared with our neighbours and friends (I have to say I felt like Father Christmas! ... my dervish husband was disappointed with my love of celebrating Christmas so much, but I believe that anything to bring everyone together and eating is a good thing!).. Also, my childhood is full of fond memories of my dad (who wears green ALL the time).. dressed up as green father Christmas when we were children.. and we loved it! So why not! This amazing 19th Century drawing of father Christmas.. looks more akin to a dervish with a turban travelling in the cold rather than Coco-Cola front man! 

Last serious point about eating meat, is that Islamically, it was the Prophet Mohammed's way (sunnah) to eat meat once every 40 days... A world full of massive blown up overgrown and abused animals that are then grounded into McDonalds burgers (I think there may be some meat in them, though I may be wrong), gelatine, and a craze culture of burgers, chicken wings, chips - is a world away from the respectful way Muslims were taught to eat meat. 

Every 40 days means the rich should share with the poor if they cannot afford it. Every 40 days is sustainable. Every 40 days does not completely block up your digestive system. Every 40 days makes it special. So next time you have meat. Why not make it a conscious decision to have something celebratory, delicious, healthy and good for you. Something like Curry Goat :)

I know that my Jamaican friends have something to do with my Love for Curry Goat, though it must have been completely subconscious. Where I live, you wont find anything that comes close to this recipe, but I have found (and now trying to grow all of the herbs and spices bar curry.... though I might try that too!) My memories of my city (London) has what I remember delicious Jamaican shops selling (what I thought at the time, was rather expensive) but rather delicious food. Patties, Curry Goat Aki and Salt Fish and Dumplings! (If I find Aki and Salt Fish randomly at the same time then I will clearly be forced to try it out...) For Now Curry Goat is the way forward!


Jafaican Tips!


It is to note that.... I realised why Jamaican food costs so much. It is not a fast food. There is always a Jamaican Mama or Papa working behind the till that has been cooking all day long to make these delicious dishes... so they are worth every penny. Curry Goat takes 6-8 hours marinating, 3 hours cooking, and in my version, in 3 different ways... so it is worth it.. completely worth it! 

I have cooked mine partially in a pressure cooker fried and then cooking and then partially in the oven. However, you can choose to cook this not in the pressure cooker or oven, just in a stew pot. I would advise you increase the actual cooking time if you do so.

I read that having a pressure cooker reduces how much it needs to cook from 3 hours to 25 minutes. However, with the time it took to lightly fry the marinade, lightly sear the meat, get the water, meat and vegetables to the boil in the pot, getting it into full steam, and then cooling it down, it took almost 2 hours anyway. And I cooked it for a bit longer (45mins to an hour) just to make sure that this goat would be tender (goat is notoriously tough if undercooked).

I have searched LOADS of recipes, BBCGoodFood had not one but two, there was the CookLikeaJamaican classic and CarribeanPot. I have brought them all together and tried to make what I believe is the most authentic version of a non-Jamaican mama can make (hence the homer picture!)... I have to say, I was not disappointed. For old times sakes I will call this the Jafaican (Pronounced Ja-Fake-An) Curry Goat! (Much more comical if you try and put on the Jafaican Accent)

As I pointed out in the  Jerk Chicken recipe, I am not a fan of rice and peas or kidney beans, it does nothing for me... so instead I made Basmati Rice, nice and simple with bay leave, a couple of cloves and one cardamom. Delicious :)

If you don't have all of the marinade ingredients... in perfect  quantities its fine! I think Curry is the main spice, then all the others can appear and disappear in different quantities... I have actively chosen not to put in scotch bonnet in as I highlighted in my Jerk Chicken I am scared of it. My Curry Goat turned out spicy enough for my taste without chilli - but feel free to add chilli to your taste. I will add no directions for adding chilli as I am an amateur at this and do not want to burn your tongues!

Jafaican Curry Goat


Recipe

Ingredients

For the Marinade:
1 kg of goat or 3 lbs or just over with or without bones
4 tbsp mild curry powder
1 tbsp ground all spice
1 tsp ginger
2 large onions
1 tbsp Thyme
2 tsp Corriander dry
2 tbsp fresh Corriander
7-10 cloves of minced garlic
black pepper
salt


For the cooking:
1 tin of tomatoes
1500ml stock
2 large potatoes
2 Onions
1 heaped tbsp all purpose flour

For Serving:
Your choice of rice
Roti/Naan

Direction:

  1. Chop onion into cubes and crush the garlic. Add all other Marinade ingredients to taste. 
  2. Marinade the chunks of meat, covering the meat well, then cover and place in fridge overnight.
  3. The next day, peel and chop the potatoes. 
  4. Take the marinated meat out of the fridge and take off the extra marinade from the meat. 
  5. Fry the marinade in a little olive oil in the pressure cooker
  6. Add the meat and sear it
  7. Add the stock, tin of tomatoes and potatoes
  8. Bring the whole pot to very hot bubbling, and taste, add a little more salt and pepper if you think it needs it make sure the meat and potatoes are covered in water
  9. Close the pressure cooker, bringing it to full steam for 45 mins
  10. Take the pressure off on slow release.
  11. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 or 6
  12. Move the potatoes and meat into a deep oven tray, ensuring they are bathed in enough juices to keep the meat juicy (at least 2cm in the tray) leaving  the rest in the pressure cooker pot (you can taste the meat now, it will be cooked but not tender - add some salt and pepper if needed) 
  13. Cover the potatoes and meat well with silver foil and place in the oven for 1 hour then switch off the oven.
  14. In the meantime, take the sauce left in the pressure cooker and put it in a saucepan on a medium heat 
  15. Slice 2 onions into rounds and place in the saucepan and cook until soft 
  16. Take a little sauce and mix with 1 heaped tbsp of all purpose flour and then reintroduce it slowly into the saucepan.
  17. If this creates clumps (as it did with mine!) then wizz them away with a hand blender. This creates a lovely thick curry sauce. Take the sauce off the heat until 10 minutes before serving, and reheat it.
  18. Make your rice (I made basmati)
  19. 1/2 hour before serving, take the meat out of the oven, and uncover it checking there is enough sauce still in there, if not, add a little water and sauce, 
  20. Cook the meat for a further 25 minutes on Gas Mark 6, reheat the rice (i put it in a terracotta pot and put it in the oven) and Sauce
  21. Serve with Love!















No comments:

Post a Comment